2004: Penny Young of C Bar G “Penny”
2007: Explorer B’Elana v. Eagleheart “Bayla”
2009: Great Earl of Duke von Adhem “Earl”
2012: Bean of Matrix Entlebuchers “Jellybean”
2014: Bixbys Big Sur of Applecreek “Bixby”
2014: Jumanji v. Brunswick “Koda”
2014: Xella-Excella vom Kornreid “Xella”
2014: Moratel Roseli Chemisse “Rosie”
2016: Maribo Muffin of Brunswick “Muffin”
2016: Jazzberry Jam v. Eagleheart “Jazzy”
As we all know, “Entlebuchers can do it all.” They are genuine working dogs who love to have a job and who can excel in a variety of working venues. To encourage Entlebucher owners to participate in dog sports, NEMDA honors dogs who have earned titles in three different working venues by presenting these dogs with a Guthrie Award.
This award is named in honor of Guthrie v. Frischborn. Guthrie was an untrained Entlebucher who at the age of six was rehomed to a young boy. With this young man loving him and training him, Guthrie became proficient in four dog sports (Agility, Herding, Flyball, and Obedience) in less than three years.
To qualify for a Guthrie Award, a dog must be a registered Entlebucher Mountain Dog (AKC, FCI, CKC, or appropriate foreign registries qualify), the dog’s owner must be a NEMDA member at the time the award is given, and the dog must have earned titles in three separate categories from national dog performance organizations. Here are qualifying categories and organizations*:
Qualifying Categories and Organizations:
- Obedience (and Rally Obedience): American Kennel Club (AKC), Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT), Australian Shepherd Club of America (ASCA), Canadian Kennel Club (CKC), NEMDA, United Kennel Club (UKC). Qualifying title: Companion Dog, Rally Novice, or equivalent
- Herding: AKC, American Herding Breeds Association (AHBA), ASCA. Qualifying title: AHBA Junior Herding Dog, AKC Pre-Trial Tested, ASCA “Started”
- Agility: AKC, ASCA, CKC, Canine Performance Events (CPE), Dogs on Course North America (DOCNA), North American Dog Agility Council (NADAC), UKC, US Dog Agility Association (USDAA)
- Drafting (cart-pulling): American Rottweiler Club, NEMDA
- Tracking: AKC, CKC
- Freestyle: Musical Dog Sports Organization (MDSA), World Canine Freestyle Organization (WCFO)
- Flyball: North American Flyball Association (NAFA), United Flyball League International (U-FLI) Qualifying title: NAFA Flyball Dog Excellent or U-FLI Top Flight
- Disc Dog: International Disc Dog Handlers Association (IDDHA)
- Weight-pulling: UKC
- Dock-jumping: Dock Dogs, Ultimate Air Dogs, Splash Dogs
- Search and Rescue (SAR): Because no national organization offers SAR titles, SAR experience qualifies if the owner submits proof that the dog has been certified by an appropriate organization or agency, and the dog has participated in at least one authorized “real-life” search.
- Therapy: Certification from Delta Society or Therapy Dogs International and 20 hours of working visitation.
To receive your award, please complete the Guthrie Award Documentation Form, available on the NEMDA website. Please submit all the information at least one month prior to the next scheduled Entlefest so your award can be presented. *Unless otherwise noted, any title from the listed organization will qualify.
Download a copy (PDF) of: